The Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) includes policies, processes, methodologies, and organizational structure, that enable Bancoldex to identify, analyze, mitigate, and monitor environmental and social risks.
BANCOLDEX ESMS ECLUSION LIST
In the following areas Bancóldex does not offer financing for projects or companies:
A. ENVIRONMENTAL EXCLUSIONS
- Production or trade in ozone depleting substances subject to national or international phase-out or prohibition regulations or to an international ban (Under the Montreal Protocol).
- Transboundary trade in hazardous waste (Under the Basel Convention).
- Importation or manufacture of Polychlorinated Biphenyl Compounds (PCBs) (Under the Stockholm Convention).
- Production, trade or use in any product or activity subject to national or international phase-out or prohibition regulations or to an international ban in certain chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, and other toxic substances (Under the Rotterdam Convention, Stockholm Convention and WHO “Pharmaceutical: Restrictions in Use and Availability”).
- Production, trade, or use in unbonded asbestos fibers. This does not apply to the purchase or use of cement lining with bound asbestos and an asbestos content of less than 20% (Under the Colombian Law 1968 of 2019).
- Production or trade in pharmaceuticals subject to national or international phase -out or bans.
- Production or trade of radioactive material. This does not apply to the purchase of medical equipment, quality control equipment (measurement) and any equipment where Bancoldex considers the radioactive source to be trivial and/or adequately protected.
- Production, trade, storage, or transportation of significant volumes of hazardous chemicals or commercial scale use of hazardous chemicals.
B. BIODIVERSITY EXCLUSIONS
- Projects to be developed in areas that are part of the SINAP (National System of Protected Areas), and it does not have the permissions by the authority.
- Activities could be associated with significant, endanger or harm strategic ecosystems such as moors, tropical dry forests, wetlands (mangroves) and tropical rain forests, irreversibly or severely, and which lack the license or permit from the designed authority
- Production or trade in wood or other forest products from forests without a proper sustainable management plan.
- Production or trade wildlife or wildlife products regulated under Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (Under CITES Convention)
- Logging operations in primary tropical moist forests for commercial purposes.
- Fishing methods or drift net fishing in the marine environment using nets more than 2.5 km. Illicit methods such as the use of toxic, explosive, and other hazardous materials that may endanger to human life or fisheries resources, such materials are also carried aboard ships. Fishing with gear, nets, trawlers, and instruments not authorized or with specifications that do not correspond to those permitted, or that while permitted are used in places other than those where they are allowed.
C. SOCIAL EXCLUSIONS
- Activities violate labor laws, principles, and rights fundamentals established by the International Labor Organization, include harmful child labor and/or incorporate discriminatory practices based on age, gender, political opinion, among others, or a violation of rights to free association and collective bargaining.
- Activities that threaten the lands owned by ethnic groups (indigenous, afro-Colombian, Raizals or ROM) or the lands are claimed under adjudication of these groups.
- Activities that violate the rights of ethnic groups.
D. ECONOMIC SECTORS EXCLUSION
- Production or trade of tobacco.
- Gambling, casinos and equivalent companies.
- Production or distribution of antidemocratic material.
- Business related to pornography or prostitution.
- Production or trade arms and munitions.